Russellings

Miscellaneous musings from the perspective of a lefty (both senses) atheist with a warped sense of humor.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Madison, WI, United States

I am a geek, but I do have some redeeming social skills. I love other people's dogs, cats, and kids. Snow sucks, but I'm willing to put up with it just to live in Madison.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Academy, Rodney Dangerfield, and SF

IMHO, the assmaps at AMPAS couldn't recognize greatness if it were 4 metres tall, blue-skinned, and staring them right in the eye. "I see you"? No, no I don't! And why not? Because you're science fiction, that's why, and therefore by fiat and long tradition congenitally incapable of being taken seriously.

Really, which line are you most likely to hear in, say, 2020?
• "It's good, but it's no Hurt Locker."
• "It's good, but it's no Avatar."

Discuss amongst yourselves.

PS: I'm sure Jim Cameron weeps copious bitter tears over this all the way every day on his many, many trips to the bank.

= = = = = =
Money will get you thru times of no Hugos better than Hugos will get you thru times of no money.

-- Jerry Pournelle, American science-fiction writer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home