Russellings

Miscellaneous musings from the perspective of a lefty (both senses) atheist with a warped sense of humor.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Madison, WI, United States

I am a geek, but I do have some redeeming social skills. I love other people's dogs, cats, and kids. Snow sucks, but I'm willing to put up with it just to live in Madison.

Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Tale of Despereaux

The Tale of Despereaux — 6

Inoffensive, intermittently imaginative, occasionally charming, adequately animated.

Nothing really to argue against seeing this story of a fearless little mouse who lives in the big palace, but there isn't a lot going FOR it, either. Despereaux is plucky short of courageous and cute short of endearing. Since the movie was based on a children's book that's been around since 2003, it's probably unfair to say that the kitchen scenes seem derivative of Ratatouille, the gloom cast over the kingdom looks borrowed from Igor, and the underground rat city could have been lifted from Flushed Away, but it's hard not to think "Gee, haven't I already seen this?".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home