Russellings

Miscellaneous musings from the perspective of a lefty (both senses) atheist with a warped sense of humor.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Madison, WI, United States

I am a geek, but I do have some redeeming social skills. I love other people's dogs, cats, and kids. Snow sucks, but I'm willing to put up with it just to live in Madison.

Monday, December 01, 2008

"War on the Economy"?

Have you heard the phrase "war on the economy" used to describe what we're going to have to do to recover from the current financial crisis?

I wish people would stop using this disgusting "war" metaphor for any large undertaking. Why not an Apollo Program for the economy, or a Manhattan Project, or a Bicentennial Celebration? Or any of FDR's alphabet agencies, like the WPA or CCC?

What are we trying to do, build or destroy?

At least with regard to the shameful, wasteful, counterproductive War on Drug-Using Americans, we've picked the right metaphor, but I was HOPING that we'd find something a little more evocative of a constructive attitude for our response to the economic crisis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home