Russellings

Miscellaneous musings from the perspective of a lefty (both senses) atheist with a warped sense of humor.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Madison, WI, United States

I am a geek, but I do have some redeeming social skills. I love other people's dogs, cats, and kids. Snow sucks, but I'm willing to put up with it just to live in Madison.

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Know Your Constitution

Our local progressive-talk radio station, The Mic 92.1, was on the verge of being replaced by a local-sports format last year. Fortunately, a concerted campaign by loyal listeners caused station management to reconsider and keep progressive talk alive.

Probably helping in the effort was the news that Air America -- then in bankruptcy proceedings -- had found a financial backer with deep pockets. Air America is the source for about 75% of The Mic's programming.

But that still left the station in kind of shaky condition, in part because it wasn't drawing a lot of support from local advertisers.

One of the regular programs on The Mic is "The Ed Schultz Show". Ed's a plain-spoken guy from Fargo ND, and he's on the Jones Radio Network, not Air America. He always says "If you support progressive talk radio, buy an ad.". I decided to follow his advice.

The problem was that I'm just an ordinary citizen. I'm not running for office, I don't have a business, and I'm not peddling any goods or services. What I DID want to push, I decided, were ideas. More specifically, I am profoundly impressed with the United States Constitution -- surely among the most admirable and monumental works ever devised by human minds and hands.

So I contacted The Mic and arranged for a month-long ad campaign -- a series called "Know Your Constitution". Each day during March they carry 2 30-second spots of me reading the Constitutional amendment with that day's number. I polish it off on March 28 with an excerpt from Article 6 of the Constitution itself, then on March 29 I explain why I did it. The production entailed about half an hour of studio time for me and cost $100. The air time ran $1125.

Charlie, the production engineer (who added a nice trumpet voluntary in the background), supplied me with a CD of all 29 spots in MP3 format, and I've uploaded it to my computer, where I can play them on iTunes.

If you're at all interested, I can e-mail a copy to you. It runs 15 MB in zipped form. Just contact me at
   RichardSRussell@tds.net

Blessings of liberty!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home