Russellings

Miscellaneous musings from the perspective of a lefty (both senses) atheist with a warped sense of humor.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Madison, WI, United States

I am a geek, but I do have some redeeming social skills. I love other people's dogs, cats, and kids. Snow sucks, but I'm willing to put up with it just to live in Madison.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Pretexting

Remember how WW2 started? The Germans felt "compelled" to mount a military response to the dastardly, unprovoked "attack" by the Polish army on a radio station just over the German-Polish border. Shortly thereafter we were treated to scenes of mounted Polish cavalry riding with lances poised into the teeth of Nazi panzer units and machine guns.

Remember the Maine?

How about the Turner Joy?

Kristallnacht?

Warmongers have occasionally felt the need for a pretext. They have never wanted for one, even if it had to be manufactured out of whole cloth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home