A guy comes up to your front door and shows you pictures of a handsome house covered with aluminum siding and says he can do the same to YOUR house for only a thousand dollars. It looks good, and the price is really low, so you sign up and write the check. Then the guy comes back with 50 boxes of Reynolds Wrap, a ladder, and a staple gun. "Wait a minute!", you exclaim. "THIS wasn't what I signed up for!"
Would you feel cheated? Of course you would. You're a victim of a bait-and-switch operation — promising something pretty impressive and delivering something shoddy and underhanded.
The Wisconsin Republicans are running just such a bait-and-switch operation. Review ALL of their campaign literature, their websites, their public appearances, their meetings with newspaper editorial boards, their answers to questionnaires from the League of Women Voters — essentially ANYTHING THEY SAID about "Here's why you should vote for me." Here's what you WON'T find:
• promises to strip employees of collective-bargaining rights.
• pledges to let the governor sell off state property at his own discretion using no-bid contracts.
• any sort of case for rolling back wetland protections.
• claims that BadgerCare and SeniorCare are way too generous and needed to be killed off.
• platform planks eviscerating women's health-care rights.THE REPUBLICANS DID NOT RUN ON THE ISSUES IN WALKER'S BUDGET BILLS!!
If you hear anyone saying that the people of Wisconsin got what they voted for, tell them flat out that they're lying. Nobody in Wisconsin voted for THIS. They voted for people who CLAIMED they'd work in a bipartisan manner to try to resolve the state's fiscal problems.
If they HAD run on the platform they're currently trying to enact, they wouldn't have been elected. It's that simple. The people of Wisconsin didn't ask for this kind of treatment, they didn't vote for it, and they don't deserve it.