Russellings

Miscellaneous musings from the perspective of a lefty (both senses) atheist with a warped sense of humor.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Madison, WI, United States

I am a geek, but I do have some redeeming social skills. I love other people's dogs, cats, and kids. Snow sucks, but I'm willing to put up with it just to live in Madison.

Sunday, March 01, 2015

A Little-Noticed Anniversary

We went sailing right past January 18 without anyone, including me, noticing that it was a significant anniversary. But better late than never, so here:

200 years ago, 1815 January 18, the British withdrew their troops from Louisiana after the Battle of New Orleans. There has not been a hostile soldier’s boot on American soil for 2 entire centuries. Think about that for a little while. What an astonishing record that is!

= = = = = =
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you're reading it in English, thank a veteran.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home